The Samvera framework uses the best of current repository, search, and user-interface technologies. The separation of data and display, within the Samvera framework, promotes flexibility and extensibility.
Within Samvera framework, one body, the digital repository, supports multiple heads or tailored, content type-specific applications. Additional heads can be implemented with the same repository to handle new forms of content as they emerge. All content stored in the repository can benefit from common curatorial functions and end-users benefit from tailored discovery and access interfaces.
The Samvera framework is architected to extend features based on specific concerns and use-cases. Established features with long-term community commitment are available, such as:
- Browse Everything allows your rails application to access user files from cloud storage, such as Dropbox, Skydrive, Google Drive, Box, and a server-side directory share
- LDP provides a Linked Data Platform and allows publication of RDF data
The agile and collaborative nature of the Samvera Community also enables experimentation with cutting-edge extensions, which can be added to address unique needs, explore usefulness and possibilities, and eventually gain community commitment. Experiments include:
- GeoMash for linked data and geo-vocabularies
- International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) manifest
- ORCiD integration
- SHARE notify service
- Shibboleth authorization integration